Search This Blog

Sunday 27 May 2012

Seven Year’s Itch…27/05/2012

She’s patient but at seven her patience is being tested too much. With big sister at a sleepover and great weather I gave her what she asked for ages ago – a paddle on the sea. We were off to the beach with friends and the spot was to be a mile south of our beach. No contest then and so we headed down with her Kea and my RRRapido while mum took the picnic. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” A couple of small waves to go through but she was straight out and I launched to catch up. It was lovely on the water, flat with just enough swell to make it fun and amidst giggles and being told how great it was I relaxed and knew Abigail would be fine. Out we went, about half a mile and then set course past the pier and down towards Pakefield, the tide assisting us all the way. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” I didn’t quite land where we were expected so it seemed we were the first to arrive. Abigail went ahead with me following up behind with the camera recording all the way in. Small waves to me but she’s half my height! Of course she was light enough to surf the last few yards but got turned and slid off in knee high water, landing on her feet with a huge grin! Of course she then had to try the RRRapido and paddled out, turned, paddle din, watched for the waves, took one and wiped out with laughter on her lips and sand in her mouth! Brilliant! Ten minutes passed before mum turned up and pointed out where we should be so off we went again…this time she took a shoulder height (sitting down) wave in and landed fine with a big thumbs up and smile as she turned to me coming in behind her…a class act. Then it was back in the water to splash about for half an hour while I lazed in the sun. We spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach and after being picked on and bullied once more by six children who refuse to take heed of any threats of the European Court of Human Rights and proceeded to bury me and shovel sand into my mouth she once more donned her wetsuit and took the kayak out to teach herself to surf kayak…and she mastered it in those conditions! “Photobucket” She’s been watching me, I was gobsmacked when she watched for her wave, chose it, paddled for it and applied strong stern rudders to keep herself straight! First in the Kea and then in the RRRapido…soon joined by Jonas who spent a few minutes solo before she hopped on the back and kicked with her feet as he paddled for them to catch waves, having some great rides and plenty of laughter. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” Four hours passed and then I had to make two trips up the cliff to take the kayaks to the car. I see there will be days and days like this and in a few years less space for me to ride the waves as my two little selkies beat me into the line-up…

No comments:

Post a Comment