Search This Blog

Sunday 27 May 2012

Ray of Sunshine…27/05/2012

Ray of Sunshine…27/05/2012 I’ve got a newfound respect for those who chase the big flatties up in Scotland. I’ve got a new respect for the way they pull those huge beasts up and in. All because a 3lb’er nearly had me swimming this morning… 7am and I’m on the ramp at Hopton in another glorious sunny morning. I’ve got a bunch of miscellaneous bits of bait all in a bag to use and a few hours to kill, to chill and enjoy some me time. I’d made arrangements late after a wedding so was unsurprised that I was solo this morning. No matter, I tackled up, dressed in my Sidewinder bib and brace without a cag and paddled out nice and dry, dropping anchor on the usual mark. “Photobucket” First rod down and I’m baiting up the second when I get a bite…that’s a good sign. It’s gone by the time I’ve sorted rod two however so I settle down and wait. Forty minutes before the next bite and it’s getting towards slack low now. What a lacklustre weekend! Then a few minuscule rattles and a few missed strikes. I’m underwhelmed but it’s pleasant enough though a bit lumpy. I’m kind of hoping for an early smoothie but haven’t really got the bait out for them and then bang! The rod gets hit nicely and I strike. The rod is out to my side, next to the beds and I strike sideways. There’s solid resistance and I shoot back towards it! Luckily I maintain an upright position and figure I’ve hooked the bed but no, there’s movement. Good movement. It feels heavy. Heavy and strong. Strong but light. Not fast though. It’s not a bass. It’s no smut either. What the hell is this? It’s almost codlike but different and with more pull. I’m at a loss. It comes up though after a nice spirited scrap and bugger me it’s a thornie! I’m amazed and over the moon! My wife will be pleased, that’s her favourite and I’m pleased too… “Photobucket” Why am I so delighted? Well, I’ve never had one locally. I had three in Kent a few years back but I just don’t see them here. I know a mark, a couple of miles out from here but have yet to fish it. The only one I’ve seen before was a baby Tim had a mile or so out but this is on the usual mark! Granted I’m usually lure fishing by now and bait is ignored but they should have turned up to one of us by now surely? I’m chuffed to bits though especially as I’ve been waiting for one for a while and all the local boas are on the hunt for them. Ha, good old Ray! A few minutes pass and I pull up a good whiting. They’ve been slinks lately and all gone back but here’s a long and plump one. Nice for tea… “Photobucket” It’s followed by more and then a pout, excellent, not been many of these around lately! It goes back, “Photobucket” I’m starting to head south now, the wind and tide lining up and as I pull in a few more whiting I spy a red kayak on the beach…soon it comes out and I can tell it’s a Scupper…a few minutes and I can confirm it’s Mike just popping out to say hi. “Photobucket” I’ve just spoken to my wife and I’m about to head in but I give it a while longer and catch him a couple of whiting as well. My wife, incidentally, has finally shown some excitement – I’ve told her I have something special for her, a ray, and she exclaims a genuine wow! Now, If I can hit a bunch of these my marital problems could well be resolved (and not in the Hampshire Way!). We head in. There are one or two reasonable waves on the way in but without a dry top on I take it easy and resist the temptation that usually sees my Persil landings. No, I chose a flat spot and come in dry for once…and then it’s time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment