Search This Blog

Sunday 18 April 2010

Bill Spills...18/04/2010

Amazingly Bill’s drysuit has finally come into existence and, champing at the bit, he wanted to try it on for size along with his Big Game that has been waiting the same treatment. Initially having other plans for the weekend it became obvious that the new launch / mark could wait as there wasn’t any better time or place to help Bill get started than Lowestoft South Beach on Sunday morning...

“Photobucket”

An easy launch with close, free parking. The forecast of hardly a breath of wind and what there was coming from the west, a flattening breeze. A tiny southerly swell that was easily blocked and deflected by the projection from the shore of South pier. A tide that would not reach its peak until l after I was back on shore and at a local theme park with the girls. Crap fishing on a poorly performing stretch of shallow sandy beach aside it was perfect.

“Photobucket”

05:30 and I was on the road from my house 300 yards from the launch point, parking my van right by the ramp. I know it was lazy of me but in my defence I couldn’t give a toss ;D I carried the yak onto the beach, followed by my gear and then went and parked. Bill had beaten me there and was already getting sorted out so we ended up ready at similar times. I don’t think he’s seen the sun rise for a while but it was a super morning to see one – it was a fantastic morning.
“Photobucket”

“Photobucket”

Down we went and after finalising things Bill dragged his kayak out and onto the water. I filmed, then followed with mine meaning to hop on once he was afloat and paddling. Getting used to the seat position actually on a moving, fluid surface needed a bit longer so I pushed my Scupper back and held the nose of Bill’s yak while he shifted and adjusted things before getting ready to paddle out. Standing  close at hand I decided to film the ‘surf’ from down low and zoomed in to try to increase the visual size to give an idea of the power of a 6-inch rolling surf.

Sorted out once again, and with his knackers sealed against further influxes of sea water Bill got comfortable and paddled out to the back of the groyne before I joined him and we headed for a lazy wander around. Bill opted to invest the morning in getting used to the feel of his kayak while I anchored and fished as he mooched around nearby. I had salted down some twice defrosted black lug and with a smattering of squid (some rediscovered remnants thawed out previously) I was into little bites straight away. Nibbles really. I failed to foul hook anything with my 4/0 pennels but it was good to know that there were things moving around in this barren seabed.

“Photobucket”

 Low water came and went, slack didn’t really occur and then the tide started to flood, reaching nearly 2mph even in the sheltered bay we had. Once it started pushing weed and flotsam onto my line in quantities it was time to go in. Bill’s son was waiting on the beach and as he paddled in to a smooth landing it was clear that Bill had enjoyed his first launch.

Me? I managed the two smallest starfish I’d ever landed...

“Photobucket”

...what a glorious session it was though ;D


No comments:

Post a Comment