Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 May 2007

Lifeboat Out...23/05/07

This evening I went for a paddle a few hundred yards out from the south beach on my sea kayak for a short while to do a spot of fishing and to wind down for the day, during which time I tried out the sail I have just fitted. I was close to the harbour mouth when I saw the Lowestoft Lifeboat come through and assumed that they were carrying out a training exercise – but it was nothing of the sort. A well-meaning and conscientious member of the public had been concerned that I was in distress (presumably through the sail being mistaken for a distress flag) and had placed a call to them to report what could have been an incident.

I would like to publicly thank the RNLI for their sterling efforts in ensuring that no harm had in fact come to me and the speed of their response which, in a distress situation could have been vital to my well-being. I would also like to publicly thank the concerned member of the public who reported what they thought might have been someone in difficulties as they could have saved my life had they been correct. It is incredibly comforting for someone who uses the water frequently to know that people care enough and that others are ready to place other people’s welfare before their own home life. I would also like to apologise for wasting their time!

They were very friendly and courteous, as was the castguard chap who popped down to get my particulars when I came ashore - even if they did probably think I was a twatt for going fishing in a yak. Made sure I had a PFD but surprisingly didn't ask about other safety stuff. Decided I will get a VHF and the course now - if anything it'll save them some fuel maybe if soeone thinks I'm in trouble and I'm not.

Just a pity they had to waste their time for nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment