Search This Blog

Saturday 26 May 2007

An hour's yakking this evening...26/05/07

Well, it's been a week of yak excitement for me. First I went out yakking up the river with the missis and she finally realised frenzies weren't up to it and the P15 was the dogs nuts. Then I got the sail, then I did some pimping and added some bits to the yak, then I went out and had the lifeboat launch to check I was okay. Followed this by managing to get a second P15 (hurrah!) at long last, with a new C-Tug and paddle. Then I pimped that slightly (test ride tomorrow upriver dependant on weather) and then I launched at last with some bait for a brief session.

Lessons learned, like a good boy tonight, after getting the kids in bed and story read, I phoned up the coastguard and gave my paddle plan, estimated time back and position etc. Then grabbed the yak and trundled down to the beach. Had checked magic seaweed for wind direction, swell height and spacing, checked the tide times and weather forecast (only because I can, not because it mattered, I knew it wasn't rough tonight. Not as rough as the women here anyway and it's a safer way to spend a saturday night in Lowestoft fishing from a yak than cuddling up to them!).

So, 3 minutes walk from the house and I was at the waters edge at 21:20. Yak off the C-Tug, wheels off and into the front hatch. Rods strapped down, PFD on, mobile wrapped up in a plastic bag and into the sea I jolly well wandered. Surf was only a couple of feet and quite regular and well spaced. Held it for a minute to watch it, then hopped in and paddled out, finder on, until I was in about 4 metres or so, around 300-400 yards out. Swell was a bit bigger here, between 3-4 feet, but regular and not breaking etc. Wind was not too bad and water temperature was 13 degrees. Not that that matters but I do like to waffle a bit after all. A few beeps on the finder, but not as many as the other night. Chucked out a 2/0 with some mackerel strips on it, a single hook rig with a 4oz breakaway, after dropping anchor.
So, I lit up a f*g and sat and watched the rod tip, rod in hand. Second rod wasn't put out as I didn't feel it would be worth while and I didn't want to get a tangle (not used to this sea fishing lark yet).

Beep! A pretty little fish icon on the finder!

Beep! another one!

Beep! Two!

Brilliant - better than what was on telly tonight. And that was all the excitement I had fish-wise anyhow so worth a mention.

Blanked.

Turned around, paddled in pretty easily, following wind and current, and for the first time ever I was catching the surf just right and riding the waves for a short distance each time, so much so I surfed right up to the beach - without any tippiness or water in my lap either.

Put everything in order, trundled off home and called the coastguard to say I was back, had a natter and came up to post this boring and not-worth-posting fishing report.

Good fun though, a very pleasant hour out on the sea. Better luck next time eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment