Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Returning to the River...25/06/2014

Returning to the River...25/06/2014

Amos stayed over following our smoothound session the day before and come morning I fried up a breakfast that would keep us going for the day while thinking what to go after. The decision was to fish an evening river mark in daytime, heading over to Ellingham for the first time this season to try for chub on sweetcorn and other fish on maggots. This of course neccesitated a brief stop at a tackle shop near Beccles, end result being Amos seventy quid poorer.

There were cars and trailers filling up the parking spots by the weir so we made use of what space we could, unloaded and headed downstream to my usual spot.

“Photobucket”

A size 12, legered with double sweetcorn and some freebies thrown in as an attractant brought only one little nibble. I could see chub and roach below me so changed over to maggots on a size 16 and started fishing for normal sized fish. The first chub followed in no time, followed by roach.

“Photobucket”


“Photobucket”


The fish shrunk as time went on until the average size of chub and roach was no more than a couple of inches in length so I moved a few hundred yards down and tried my luck in another likely spot by a fallen tree, having spotetd decent chub the other side of the river. Quite fruitful here, the first cast resulting in a nice river rudd.

“Photobucket”

Roach and chub followed and then a dace.

“Photobucket”

I moved again; nothing in the next spot, just upstream of another fallen tree so I went the other side, cast out into a gap in the weedbed and brought in a brace of nice half pound chub in subsequent casts.

“Photobucket”

“Photobucket”

We moved down again, more of the same and then headed back up to the weir. I was hopeful of gudgeon and perch but this was not to be, just plentiful roach. I gave it an hour and then it was time to go so I could be home in time to sleep before my shift. Great weather, great company and easy fishing. A nice, sedate change from the last few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment