Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Corton Codding With Colin…15/10/13

Corton Codding With Colin…15/10/13 Tuesday looked just about doable at Corton, the cod were about and plenty of decent whiting could be relied upon. I had a new batch of worm to start on and the last of my unwashed squid before the next box which I could pick up later in the week. I could fish three, maybe four hours. That said, I knew Colin was taking Lead Us out and had space so, to make the most of the fishing opportunity I made arrangements to spend the whole day on the water! I got up early, made a soup for the night’s meal to earn extra points in case I was late and headed down to Sea Lake Road. Colin and Ritchie arrived as I was running back to the car for my camera, might as well make a video while I was at it! I hopped aboard and started tackling up as Colin topped up the oil, started up and motored down to the harbour entrance and out to sea. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” Bait out of the coolbox, live Kent blacks for the others and frozen Lancashire blacks for me. Tipped with squid, unwashed Loligo, cut into rings. “Photobucket” I cast out, I had all three Warbird 3700R’s out with me, two set up with braid on the 12lb class IM7 rods and one with mono on the Powerstick Uptider – mono on Colin’s advice as being superior for uptiding. “Photobucket” First knock and the first fish on the boat; whiting! A keeper too. Another point for the WSF hunt. “Photobucket” A few more between us and then Colin, the witch, gets number one! A nice little rod bender. First codling of the day. “Photobucket” A bit more witchcraft and he gets numbers two and three. “Photobucket” Ritchie next, another codling. “Photobucket” Where are mine? I’m still pulling whiting and they’re on two and six respectively! Finally! Species four for the WSF hunt at 46cm, the average size of the day (the majority in the 44-50cm range, five smaller ones going back). “Photobucket” I get another soon after as the tide’s slowing down, then three more; Ritchie’s stuck on three and Colin on nine by the time we hit slack water. The rain comes on and off, Colin has a dog and both have a dab. I could have done with those as points! “Photobucket” I just needed patience, got my dab soon after, nice and plump. “Photobucket” Then a whelk and starfish on the same bait – no good to me so back they went. The bucket was filling enough without having to eat funny after all! “Photobucket” As the boat turns around and takes up the new position as the flood gets nearer and the wind pushes us around it starts to roughen up a bit. I catch the plughole and hold the boat in position until finally snapping the hook length off my trace. About time we lost something, everything had remained attached so far apart from one rebaited trace that had slipped off and fortunately hung up on the side of the hull by a single gripwire of the lead. Lucky that! That’s tackle-wise. A freak tornado had ripped through during one of my cod battles and ripped my lucky hat from my head. Been fishing with that all year and it’s brought me great success with loads of fish, loads of new species, loads of PB’s and was looking beautifully battered, worn, faded and scruffy. I dropped the rod, jumped after it, missed, leapt to the back to grab the net, scrambled onto the stern and watched it disappear out of reach, float downtide and slowly salute as it dipped beneath the waves. I regretted not being on the yak now, I could have cut my anchor free and chased it down but I doubted Colin would appreciate it all that much if I did it with his boat. I wept inconsolably instead, swore vehemently and considered putting out a mayday. Lucky hat gone and one of my reels is playing up; it wasn’t right the other day, I couldn’t get it to engage. Now it’s happening on most drops, then every drop. I’m fiddling, opening up, getting it to engage by wriggling it. I catch a fish or two on it. drop again down the side and fiddle some more, sideplate off – I can’t see what’s up with it (later, at home, I see that I’ve overstressed and bent the cam, an easy and quick fix and it’s running like new again). Meanwhile it starts to thump; cod. I spool it up then handline the last twenty yards. Spawny! We fish an hour into the flood, I’m going to be late and call mum to go and sit with the kids while my wife goes to college. Meanwhile, we’re still catching. The sea’s getting worse though and a couple of squalls come through. We decide it’s time to go, we’ve hit twenty anyway and that beats last week’s nineteen on the boat so we decide to keep the rods in as they come; I’ve just rebaited so flick the uptider out for a last cast and wind in the others, with whiting attached. Bang bang. In comes the uptider, I’ve ended on a codling. Bang bang, so has Ritchie (this one goes back). Bang bang, so has Colin. Can’t leave on a better note! Scores on the board? Not sure but Ritchie had four for definite. I was on either eight or nine, Colin on ten or eleven. Bloody marvellous! “Photobucket” “Photobucket” Anchor up and in we go, just above idle we hit twelve knots at times with the sea following us. Bit lumpy, a bit of spray and then into the harbour. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” We’re followed expectantly by the gulls who clearly know which boat to follow today! Colin sets to work gutting, swiftly…after I’ve cleaned the decks and run the brush over them. Never mind, the birds are happy! “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” So are we. There’s plenty of fish for everyone, eighteen of the twenty three cod have come home, all over 44cm and half the sixty-odd good whiting, these one mostly 40cm and up, the exceptions being the deep-hooked ones and some plump breakfast dabs. A day like that makes me glad I left the kayak at home! “Photobucket”

No comments:

Post a Comment