Search This Blog

Thursday 1 August 2013

Last Day, Hot Day, If We Must…01/08/2013

Last Day, Hot Day, If We Must…01/08/2013 It was getting to be a bit much, I was fished out. I spent the evening before and the morning up until lunchtime working on the charter boat video and then gave Paul a call. Forget the bream, forget the tournament, forget all of that let’s just go for a dabble somewhere new. Paul has an inability to resist fishing so I went and fetched him, destination being Wainford Maltings and upstream to Bungay, somewhere I’ve never paddled (though I have done the downstream stretch from the weirpool). It was hellishly hot though so McDonalds got paid for a large coke without enough flavour and the wrong flavoured shake on the way through to a clear piece of the Waveney with fish everywhere…irresistible to Paul and his fly rod which proved very resistible to the fish. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” It was thirty degrees plus, people were stripping off and going swimming. I had neoprene shorts and a buoyancy aid, Paul had heat rash. “Photobucket” Off we went, a beautiful bit of countryside either side of us. It was very windy though, the reason we weren’t on the sea, so my first few attempts with a 3bb float were met with disaster as things tangled, baits blew back and so on. We carried on looking for a promising spot to tie up. “Photobucket” I soon spotted one, a small cutback where the cattle drink. Clear areas, lillies, crystal water… “Photobucket” …what have we here then? Why, pretty little gudgeon! “Photobucket” And roach. “Photobucket” I had a few more roach and then we headed further up, Paul spotting a large chub so we stopped again… “Photobucket” I had a couple of roach, the chub ignored us and we moved again. I tried a dyke off to the side, no fish but a male kingfisher took flight, its blue feathers easy to spot. “Photobucket” …and thence to the next weir where Paul spied a huge eel that he failed to locate after it swam off as he pulled to the bank. “Photobucket” I had a dabble but didn’t feel like carrying on so we headed back. Back at the launch I went past to explore the last hundred yards and the mill pool at the end. I spotted a few large roach and chub and had a play; first up was little roach followed by a good sized chub. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” The large roach were mouthing the baits but didn’t want to feed and my maggots and sweetcorn were coming back with no fish attached. I headed back and out to find Paul on the bank where he missed a couple of good bites, one while watching a large dragonfly. “Photobucket” It was six o’ clock and thirty two degrees. That’s more than enough; we went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment