Search This Blog

Monday 20 May 2013

A New Freshwater Setup

With a month to go before the start of the coarse season I decided it was time to get in something to use for silver bashing as well as the estuary bass and mullet, the Xtraflexx rods and LP Magnets being perfect for piking. So I went for a softer, 8ft spinning rod, the Vantage 2 piece 2.4m 10-40g with a longer butt than my others. Reels-wise I received two, the Vantage FX FD30 6BB which I loaded with 20lb Maxximus braid for light spinning and bait fishing for pike... “Photobucket” “Photobucket” ...along with a Maxximus DX2000 5BB which I loaded with 250 metres of Maxximus Bronze 4.4lb Tournament monofilament. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” I had fun tying on the Tournament line, it was so fine my forty year old eyes struggled to see it! Hopefully the fish would be the same! I also ordered in a bunch of new floats, clear wagglers that come in a five pack, 3bb x2, 5bb x2, 7bb... “Photobucket” ...a box of assorted split shot that contained AAA, BB, SSG No’s 1, 4, 6 and 8... “Photobucket” ...and some packs of Vantage barbed to mono hooks in sizes 16 and 20, the former for general use and the latter for chasing gobies, sticklebacks and other mini-species (always a challenge!) “Photobucket” Some size 2 trebles, 1.6mm sleeve crimps, 1.5mm silicon tubing and 26lb wire trace with crimps and some rolling swivels, with and without snap hooks, for pike traces completed the selection... “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” “Photobucket” Granted the rod is a bit over-powered for float fishing but length IS important and using a longer rod from the kayak is a pain so a loss in casting distance and lessened sensitivity is a trade-off I have to contend with. Besides I’m a hunter and I like to look, I couldn’t care less about the size of fish that I catch as long as I catch a wide selection of species and with the kayak allowing me to get close without spooking my quarry I don’t require something that will send a light float a hundred yards! As to the sporting feel, well there’s little in the rivers I play in that can match the fish I target at sea for a scrap and it’s only for a dabble anyway. Now the rod itself, pretty thing it is! “Photobucket” As for the reels, both really look sweet – the Vantage being red matches the LP Magnet baitcasters and with the drilled aluminium spool and metal casing, foam handle and smooth operating I liked it from the moment I opened the box! The silver-grey of the Maxximus is just as nicely put together and a joy to operate. I see plenty of fun coming from them! I’ve just got a month to wait…

No comments:

Post a Comment