Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Slow…09/10/2012

A suggestion of fishing…good suggestion. Typically inconclusive forecast and a meeting later restricts things to Hopton; shift ending at 8am and a judgement made then on the wind that isn’t coming from where it was expected. Procrastination steals time and dissuades Mike, Wilmy is being diplomatic and Si is still in gainful employment so it’s just me on the ramp. Hehehe. It’s bloody cold. The new shift were moaning about it when they walked in. That’ll be the north wind doth blowing then. They’re right though, it is cold. Northerly means swell here too and it’s quite lumpy out there this morning and a few bits of white indicate that there might be a bit of easterly in the wind too. There were loads of whiting about at the weekend though so it’s got to be worth the effort and the Scupper comes off the roof. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” Simple session today. One rod, handheld, anchor and reel and a bit of frozen bait. I let the large waves dump then, waist deep, jump onto the yak and paddle out without getting any water dumped in my lap for once. I’m bouncing around a bit but the water is really clear and I’m thinking things might be quite productive today. I drop anchor a couple of hundred yards out to try close in for once; I never fish here but there might be some dabs or bass kicking about and I’m still further out than the casters can reach. The wind is holding me side on to the flow though, it’s very strange but my line is going out the same way as my anchor warp and I’m being held uptide of it. The wind isn’t even that strong really. It makes things a bit tricky in terms of bite detection and the lead seems to be moving around a bit. Finally though I get a positive knock, strike and pull in a pin whiting. Ideal for a livebait but I’ve only got the one rod out with me today. I head deeper. The wind and flow are still conflicting and I’m still bouncing. Nothing is biting. I try a herring trace, knowing the shoals are about but with no finder onboard I don’t know if I’m over them or at what depth they’re swimming at; a pity because it’s the clearest water I’ve seen here yet. After a fruitless wait I decide to drift a bit, jigging the trace. I’d quite like some nice fresh herring for lunch, especially if I get some plump fresh roe into the bargain. I seem pretty static. I get bored after a while and paddle over to the wreck of the Norman. I know where it is. Doesn’t do me any good though, I still don’t get anything so I drift back, very, very slowly with the wind and, getting bored, stow the rod and paddle in avoiding the larger waves to make a smooth landing before dumping my gear and going for a quick play, surfing in a few times. Haha, I’ve undone my pee zip at some point recently it seems; all I have to show for the session is a set of cold wet balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment