Search This Blog

Monday 16 July 2012

Mr Mojo Rising…16/07/2012

When you’re in a rut you’ve got to get out of it. I was in one, I’d not launched in ten days. That’s a record for me I think, certainly this year. I had to get out and Si felt the same so without further ado we headed for Yarmouth to see if we could find some clear water and perhaps some bass up near the outer harbour. By 9:30 we were ready to unload and carrying the yaks down to the water’s edge we could see we’d made the right choice. Damn, no cameras in the van! A bit of wind was present so we’d be pushed around a bit but it wasn’t anything major and having a lot of westerly in it the surface was flat as we headed for the outfall. Water was fairly clear so hopes were high as I dragged a Magnum CD11 and a Sliver behind me. I trolled around for a while and then, drifting around the corner I felt that familiar tugging…fish on! I had to paddle with one hand to go backwards and avoid cutting my line on the structure while pulling the fish in and around and on it came into the clear; 41cm and a spirited scrap on my spinning rod and reel. That’ll be lunch sorted then! “Photobucket” A few more passes with nothing it was time to try along the harbour wall. Nothing hit on the way up or down so back we went for the outfall. Trolling a J13 and a sliver this time I was expectant but no, I couldn’t find a second. Okay, fair enough, try casting! Out came an 18g Abu Toby, my first go with one of these and off it went, bouncing off the concrete and down into the water, immediately getting stuck! I pulled a few times and then it broke free, fluttered a bit and I started the retrieve. Bang Down went the rod tip, better fish this time, first cast eh? A couple of minutes later and I had a 51cm bass in the boat…lunch for two sorted then. I was hopeful of more but I guess this first one spooked them and with the water starting to colour up soon after it became time to call it a day. We landed at midday and the smaller fish was donated to Si for his lunch while the larger went on the table for Flo and I, grilled with chilli, ginger, peppers and cherry tomatoes…Nice and fresh, nice and tasty! I was out of my rut but still had a slight frown; best I repeat things tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment