Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 June 2012

...and one says ‘can you smell fish?’...26/06/2012

Okay, so I gave the punchline first but it’s an old joke about two birds standing on a perch. I find it funny anyway. I guess you know one of the fish I caught already though so it seems pointless to carry on except I’ve got some nice pics and I feel like writing. I came off shift and the sea didn’t look fishy so I decided to head for Beccles again seeing as how the river is open again. Okay so it’s the wrong time of day for a really good session, evenings being far better, but it was such a nice day other than the wind that I decided to go anyway. As usual I parked up at the swimming pool and launched off the pontoon for a troll down the town stretch. I had a couple of rods out, my spinning rods with the Coriolis baitcaster and Sedona spinning reel with a small bunch of Rapalas to play with from my ridiculously excessive collection as I headed down towards the bridges at a walking pace. I suppose I should call it Galilee pace as Jesus is the only bloke I’ve heard of that walked on water. Not that I know what pace he walked at or anything but I digress. I reached the bypass bridge without a sniff and turned; perhaps with the flow going against me I’d stand a better chance as is usually the way. The theory is that the lure wriggles a lot more going that way and creates more disturbance but I don’t really know if it makes any difference. That said, half a mile later my rod started to buck. I reached around and took it from the flush mount; at last a fish on my repaired spinning reel! Tempted on the hot tiger 7cm Jointed Shad Rap I’d had the biggie on ten days before on opening day It pulled well, fighting like a good ‘un…As the yak weathercocked with the wind I pulled it closer; a small jack, a pound or two at most. Summer lure pike always surprise me with their power! In it came for the quick unhooking and off it went. I forgot to take a photo! Better catch another then! “Photobucket” Up past the pool and on towards Barsham and with another mile covered things seemed to be quiet still. I changed lures, turned back and carried on. It was a slow day again but what a pleasant one! I was thinking that when I passed the revetments and the rod started to act strangely! I’d seen plenty of fish in the margins here, roach and perch mostly and was hoping for a perch…yes! My Coriolis, pulling a Firetiger J13, had hooked into the first perch of the season! I love perch, such pretty things, aggressive bullies that they are perch were the first fish I caught from my yak all those years ago! It wasn’t big, barely bigger than the lure but a pleasure to see all the same. “Photobucket” With it back in the water I pondered catching the other predator that sometimes takes a lure on this stretch, that lovely species the chub…could I do the triple? I’ve never had it yet, just two of three on many occasions…I continued down but still it was a long wait. Really long and it wasn’t until I had turned again and started to paddle back to the launch for the last time that the rod bent over again…could it be a chub? Doubtful in this stretch but…? “Photobucket” Nah. It wasn’t. At least I had my pike photo to go home with and go home I did, more relaxed than if I’d slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment