Search This Blog

Saturday 21 April 2012

My Turn Daddy…21/04/2012

It’s not been easy; big sister gets to go kayak fishing, gets kit, gets to go away. So this time it was Abigail’s turn. The Kea was over at my parents’ so we had to go that way first but we could do a loop and hit the river for a paddle which was her choice anyway. A lie-in this week. That gave me neck-ache and a headache that lasted all day. Still, with breakfast, coffee and the two of us dressed and in the van it was time to head over and frighten Grandpa when he came out of the porch and wake granny up before heading to the river. An enjoyable time so far… So, Eloise’s drysuit, with plenty of room to grow into, gets unzipped and Abigail dives into it. Next comes my surf boots. I now have a waterproof flipper-wearing Charlie Chaplin, which is pretty cool. “Photobucket” I stick a buoyancy aid on and we head for the water, her Kea going in first and she’s away down-river as I launch. “Photobucket” A lovely, bright morning with only a gentle wind and slow current, we paddle down through the town chatting, looking at houses and wildlife and just taking our time. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” I’ve got Eloise’s Tetra and the new Carlisle Enchantment Glass paddle today and both are ideal for this trip. The latter is solid in the water and pushes me along nicely as did the carbon version I had previously. Writing now I’ve realised that I had no twinges in my wrist at all, something I cured with the move to cranked shafts a couple of years back. “Photobucket” We carry on paddling and chilling, reach the bridge and turn back again. “Photobucket” “Photobucket” We wave to the river inspector and chat briefly to some South Africans on a narrowboat, racing them briefly. A few minutes later we’re passed faster than the limit and have a bumpy time in the wake, especially with its rebounds and Abigail tells me its fun! I was concerned she’d fall in but no, she waited until the end and then insisted on getting into the water through choice. I loaded up and on the way home (with Abigail intent on listening to Radio 4 in peace) we headed through town, up past my old school and down past the cemetery where a bunch of workmen had chainsaws out. The bastards are messing with my history; they cut down the bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment