Search This Blog

Monday 5 March 2012

Fogged Off…03.03.2012

Dan had asked for my help in rigging his first kayak the other week but with loads on my plate I hadn’t got around to it by the time he’d done it, as I discovered when I invited him over as I had the tools out to rig an anchor trolley on my daughter’s Tetra. Never mind, he came anyway and we hatched a plan for him to pitch up in the morning around 9 when I’d be thinking about heading in at Hopton from fishing…

05:00, out of bed, 5:05 back in. Fogbound. There was no chance whatsoever that I was going to drive in that crap.

Just after eight, family fed, I let him know that I was up for an hour on the water if he wanted to do some practice and so I took the Tetra down to the end of the road for 9am and met him there, all ready to rock.

Out he went, into the sea for the first time. It was a tad choppy.

“Photobucket”

For a warm up we went for a brisk paddle down to the Claremont pier, up to the South pier (against the current) and back again…

“Photobucket”

…before heading into shallower water, where it was lumpier from the waves breaking and he deployed his anchor, hauled it again and stayed on. First time he’d tried it.

“Photobucket”

Satisfied, we headed back out a little bit, out of standing depth, and he had his first go at a self-rescue. Now I find this dead easy but I’m reasonably fit, reasonably light and well-practiced. Dan, on the other hand, is not a featherweight, has a few years on me, has never done it before and had only the briefest of instruction. I’m such a bastard. On the plus side, he was keen as mustard and paid attention. Over he went…

…and back on, first time. Like a hippo roller skating perhaps but he was on and in his seat. Fine, do it again…

“Photobucket”

…in a couple of seconds his paddle was in his hand. What might best be described as an excellent student! Remember, it’s March, the water at its coldest; it’s choppy, there’s a bit of swell, some wind, it’s his first time on the sea in his new kayak…That’s a round of applause in my book.

Oh yeah, then he made his first landing, bracing hard and running in straight without getting wet.

“Photobucket”

Apologies for low quality photographs, they’re still captures off the video camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment