Search This Blog

Thursday 23 February 2012

Broads 45 pounder…19.02.2012

I was up at 5. I was at the beach at 530. It was fine – gentle waves at Lowestoft so I headed for Hopton; we’d had this plan, the forecast being unreadable and unbelievable in equal measures. It was a case of surf if possible or fish if it went the other way – both good plans. Failing that Beccles for the pike or Lake Lothing for the tour and a stretch. So I sent out the text and went to Hopton; the plan to head for Corton and try and please possibly perhaps get anchored in a good spot and catch some of that shoal that’s feeding in the area.

That was the plan. I parked up at Hopton, got out and thought ‘Oh’. I walked to the top of the ramp…there was no beach, tide still on the rise but it was up to the concrete already and, regularly, over as the waves dumped ten yards short, big, fast and powerful. Nope, it wasn’t happening. I turned and headed home, Si being unable to come at the last minute and nothing heard from Mike (my fault, I sent out the pm too late).

I got home, no surf. I went upstairs with another coffee and typed up the day before. The good news was I’d be around for a rare weekend breakfast and my youngest was making it to order for everyone and would require help. Muesli, yoghurt and fruit loaf for mum and then her first go out frying with some bacon sarnies for her, her sister and myself…and a plate of sautéed whiting roe for me as well. Went down well and needed walking off so I got the girls dressed and we went down to the beach. The waves were still not enough for the Rrrapido. We went back and I milled around a bit. Fine, I’d wait for the flood – if it was going to turn on it’d be about 2-3pm. Flo and the girls were heading out shortly and I might sneak a paddle in first…but no, change of plan. Mum was roasting and did we want to come for tea? Yes we did but that meant I’d be looking after the girls all afternoon while my wife worked. So what then, where could I waste a quick and easy hour?

I pulled up at Oulton broad, unloaded my Necky by the slipway and parked the van – free parking from 31st October to 1st March here. I popped my deck on over my drysuit, put my kayak in the water and climbed in, my spinning rod with me so I could practice casting my new baitcaster with a Rapala Skitterpop. I paddled out in glorious sunshine and high winds and played dinghy-chicken as I headed for the dead end. Perhaps I should have put the sail on the Scupper…oh well.

I got down there and out of the main blow, start to flick the popper out when suddenly…it’s back to me. Hmm, maybe over there? Same again. Again. Again. Fair enough, I’ll try elsewhere. The water was the highest I’ve seen it so maybe a popper isn’t the best choice but the fishing is secondary anyway, last thing I want is a smelly Necky! I try further along. Same result. I move again and then, with no joy, head off on the troll with a small Rapala I’d brought knowing I’d get bored casting!

“Photobucket”

I paddled up the side of the broad, nice and slow, the rod twitching. I goit to the top, turned and carried on to the other side. I drifted now, didn’t need to paddle. A good, steady walking pace maintained all the way down as I failed to get a bite. I spotted a trace hanging from the deck of a boat and retrieved a spoon though just before landing, it was my lucky day!

“Photobucket”

I landed. I walked to the van, I’d been out maybe an hour. My luck ran out then as I spotted the parking charge notice affixed to my windscreen. It would seem that the free parking has been abolished in favour of enraging a quarter of the people who leave their vehicles in a handy but muddy location.

I wish I’d braved the shore dump; it’d have been cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment