Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Well that’s quite enough of that thank you…08/12/10

I don’t think things have gone worse without a disaster occurring. I got to Hopton with the water half up the wooden ramp, a bit of a shore dump but no great issue there. It looked swelly but okay beyond so I got the yak and myself ready and wandered down to the water via very slippery, frosted slope. By now the waves had got closer together and some were starting to get little bits of white on them but no matter. I waded in to my lower thigh and got in just as a random wave came in at an angle, side swiped the kayak and squeezed in through my pee zip – I’d rooted around to get something out of a pocket earlier and not done it up Anyway, I swung it back and went straight out. The tide was pretty strong by now as all the traffic had been in my way and although I was making progress the sea was starting to get snottier. Enough was enough, I’d go piking instead, this was unfishable.

Of course, all my piking gear was at home and I had neither cash nor fish bait so had to go back whatever. Of course I checked the sea again at the end of my road and it was fine so I unloaded again and then went and parked the car at the bottom of my road and walked back. I got set up to go and then walked back again for my paddle. High water was galloping closer all the time.

I launched, got out back and seemed to have little assistance. I barely drifted at all when i stopped. I watched as a boat trawled the line from the pier down to the mark I was headed for and so chose to go a bit deeper in another hole. Down to CEFAS I paddled, dropped anchor and cast in.

The next hour resulted in not one bite. The sea started to pick up and then the wind started to build. Crests were forming and I was getting fucked off so I up-anchored and paddled back into the wind and still-flooding tide (it should have slowed but hadn’t) which hurt somewhat as my fingers started to ice up. The surf had picked up a little but was easily dealt with and I dragged the yak home on my C-Tug.

That’s it. Day’s off have shit seas, days at work have calm seas, the cod haven’t arrived, the whiting have buggered off and snapper is going on the river for the next few weeks. I’m fed up wasting my time and my worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment