Search This Blog

Friday 24 December 2010

Just go and paddle!...24.12.10

I had to go again. It wasn’t a case of begging and pleading today either. No. I made my wife so pissed off with me that she told me to go paddling. Result.

Waves were messy as anything so it was back into the Necky and off to the river this time. Picked up a hitchhiker on the way and we chatted about the teachers we had known at the same school (he was in my brother’s year it turned out) and then, with him dropped off I headed down to the launch in Beccles and got the kayak into the water. The water was the bit between the pontoon and the inch thick ice.

“Photobucket”

I broke up some of the ice and then noticed a crack down the middle which allowed me to push a 20ft square iceberg into the flow and get myself out with no bother.

“Photobucket”

Off I went and after 50 yards chucked out a lure and tucked my spinning rod behind my back (spraydeck wasn’t pulled over at the back). I figured that although I didn’t get this as a kayak for fishing from I may as well try to fluke a pike even though it was way too cold for them to go for a lure.

“Photobucket”

It was lovely on the river as I wound my way upstream through the marshes and past Geldeston. No-one else was on the water and I only saw one angler on the banks. ‘Hi Mark’ he said as I paddled past giving his lines a wide berth…there are ways for paddlers and anglers to co-exist, it just takes mutual respect or the hiding of mutual hatred.

“Photobucket”

A couple of miles upstream I spotted something worth a closer look – either a muntjac or Chinese water deer, I couldn’t tell as the head was submerged. Funnily enough I am serving muntjac tonight for Christmas Eve dinner. I didn’t want a well-marinated one though!

“Photobucket”

I carried on up past Shipmeadow before turning around and wandering back. Six or Seven miles in minus plenty with no bites was pleasant enough and at least I knew I could so some limited fishing from the Necky. Okay, so I didn’t get to feel what a pike would do to my balance but I did catch 3 submerged branches, 2 trees and the bank so I have a fair idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment