Search This Blog

Sunday 18 December 2011

Circling…17/12/2011

I’ve just stripped and serviced my multipliers. They were full of sand and salt and starting to run rough. I stripped them down to individual components, washed them out and degreased them, oiled them again and put them back together. They ran as good as new so I stuck them on my rods and slung them in the van last night. A pleasant couple of evenings spent doing that.

So I had my coffee and went to grab my bait box and replenish it. The three stinking mussels from last week left me at the sink instead. Oh, it was going to be one of those days then.

Soon after 6 I pulled up at Gunton drysuited and ready to launch. I could hear the waves dumping so went and had a look a bit closer as it was still dark. It looked launchable but timing would have to be spot on and with the lack of light I decided to set my rods up and then head for Hopton. That’s when I noticed that I had no 4/0 pennels tied. Oh well, I’d planned on giving my circle hooks another chance and tied them on instead with a simple running leger. Then it was off to Hopton.

The launch looked far more benign and I unloaded and headed down the ramp. The wind was negligible at this time and I launched, in the dark still, without a hitch.

I was on the mark in no time and slung my anchor over. It bit straight away and I let some line out. I figured it was because the tide wasn’t running much that I was looking out to sea but no matter, I baited up and cast the first rod out. It was bloody glorious out there.

“Photobucket”

I’d just about finished baiting the second when I noticed the rod bucking. Obviously I was drifting but it didn’t make a lot of sense; the tide wasn’t that strong and I was in the rough. No matter, I cast the other line out. When that started bucking I decided to reel in, haul anchor and have another go. This wasn’t to be however as my anchor trolley wasn’t connected – how I did it I don’t know but it had come out of the carabiner. Luckily it was starting to get slightly lighter as I headed back to look for my small inline buoy ‘somewhere back there’. Si has my new larger buoy so my baked bean sized yellow one might take some finding, not forgetting I was going against the tide and hadn’t really fixed my position precisely ;D

Twenty minutes later I decided to see what spares I had in the van, that’s when I found it again and clipped on. Hohoho.

Rods down, then grab my worms which have fallen into the footwell. Half a wrap of blacks finally make it back into the wild through the scupper hole. Laugh a minute it was this morning!

I sat for a while and then the rod tip started to nod. Hmm, timed that okay and am in the right spot, that’s a cod bite. Best we let that develop…and develop it does. I wind down and start to bring it up, can feel it on the end. Feel a nice nod just before it goes light. Okay, where there’s one there’s more. Down again. Other rod goes a few minutes later. Same again (but a whiting bite). Nope, kicks and drops off. Third time lucky? No. How about the fourth? No. Right. Back to wishbones, though they’re only 2/0’s.

“Photobucket”

At last! With the sun coming up I haul in a beauty. As you can see, it’s in the eye of the beholder…

“Photobucket”

I had a few more like that. Then a bit of mackerel attracts the best whiting of the season, well over a pound:

“Photobucket”

So I’m sitting there thinking how lucky I am to be on my yak on such a beautiful morning, all peaceful like, when I hear it…my eyes scan the horizon and I remember the number one rule of aerial combat: Beware the Hun in the Sun!

Photobucket

Yep, the Red Baron is back!

“Photobucket”

Don circles overhead while John takes a few snaps. I’ll probably see them eventually when I save his computer from his anger ;D They shoot overhead and I decided to whip out my big whiting and hold it up for them…that’ll teach them to swap a wet arse for a jolly over the east! From the air it didn’t seem as large so they came closer:

“Photobucket”

Not quite sure if John had his glasses on while taking my photo…or had he spotted a nudist at Corton?

“Photobucket”

Slack water came with all the riveting excitement that usually accompanies it and then as I was about to come in the rod tapped a couple of times and the line moved uptide. Interesting, cod? Nah, double shot, pin whiting number 6 and a lovely plump dab, nicely done!

“Photobucket”

I unhooked them, stowed the rods and hauled anchor. Then it was into the beach. Si was on his way down with Jack to say hi and I made my way in. I knew they would be there anytime but there was this one wave that looked too much fun to leave. I wouldn’t forgive myself missing out on it. I had to come in right now! I put my foot flat, caught it and went into a turn. I had to be a bit careful as there was a guy fishing in the bay I’d be landing in but I figured I’d either go in sideways or cutback, turn and finish off straight.



Had I not overbraced…all 15ft or so of Scupper slid out from under my arse, I pulled a rod from the holder and I came to a rather giggly rest on the beach just before Si, Jack and subsequently Mike pitched up..

The next twenty minutes just had to be set aside for playing. So what if the fishing was slow and everything went wrong? The morning was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment