Search This Blog

Saturday 21 May 2011

Valhalla Valour 21.05.2011

Bloody hell. I was hoping to be back by 3 on Friday and hit the water before going home. I got back at 7. This screwed everything up and I tortured myself by taking a look at the wreck of the Swan on the way home…flat calm, clear, low enough that it was nicely exposed. Ideal in other words. So I went home, respooled my KP and retied some fluorocarbon on my spinning reel ready for the morning…

The morning. I was later getting to bed than hoped so I set my alarm for 0430. That was sunrise or so which was when I wanted to be on the water but it wasn’t going to happen. Instead, after coffee I saw the sun come up as I drove to Gorleston.

I unloaded and descended the cliffs, resplendent in my new headgear. I was in the mood for a bit of the old rapin’ and a pillagin’ so was Vikinged to the max. Scupper, C-Tug, two rods, a bunch of lures and the girl I love – Annette. About my person was all the usual gear – PFD, VHF, priest, 3 knives…

I paddled out and it was really flat. The wreck was exposed and one perfunctory troll finished with me clipping off to a buoy and the start of my casting towards a prominent feature on the wreck. Nothing. Stoker phoned – he was up on the cliff and would be with me soon. I carried on…the rod arched down and a bass of around a couple of pound came up to the yak and then quietly fell off the end of the Dexter; the hook had been partly straightened on a snag a cast before. Bugger. Still, at least they were about and feeding…

“Photobucket”

Stoker was on the beach soon after and then came paddling out the few hundred yards to where I sat. As he ran along the length of the wreck I slung out a Storm 3” wildeye swim shad that I’d just tied on. It sank, I reeled, felt it bump and then bang! Fish on ;D A good one too, the net came out for the first time this year. It was pulling my spinning rod over like it wasn’t there and some line came off the reel. Stoker kept on coming too and I lifted it out in the net…53cm, 3 1/2lb (when I weighed it at home) what a welcome! He must have thought his luck was in as he tied up to another buoy nearby.

I slung the shad straight out into the boiler and broke off. I did that with another and two Dexters before slinging a Rapala Magnum into the same place and unhitched to go and get it. Oh what joy, unhooking a lure from weed on top of an uncovering boiler with water crashing over it and a constant change between 2ft of iron and turbulent water. Still, I got it back. Uptide was with us now but still things were quiet.

They remained so. That was it. I returned, a couple of hours early, with one fish to take to my parent’s for a barbecue that night.

“Photobucket”

“Photobucket”

I went back in with the others close behind. The postman had brought my winnings from the US the day before and I’d well and truly christened the Fu Manchu Moustache and Viking Helmet which went so well with my Beardhead. These had not come off all morning and when a dog walker in her 50’s smiled and said she liked it I asked her if she fancied a bit of rapin’ and pillagin’. There was a definite spring in her step as he carried on walking up the beach ;) I’ve still got it…

“Photobucket”

Oh yeah, Stoker seemed happy ;D

“Photobucket”

No comments:

Post a Comment