Search This Blog

Friday 8 April 2011

Out to Stanford…08.04.2011

With the weather predictions looking good and the tides being a bit early I decided to hit the Stanford Buoy for a spot of fishing for the first time in a year or two. This was my regular spot when I first started going to sea and lies around a mile and a half off the coast of Lowestoft and over some banks. It would need an early start and so I headed down for sunrise.

“Photobucket”

I’d sorted a new mount for my ATC9K so that I could do some filming too, this would allow me to fit the camera in a selection of places where inserts were already placed and I chose the forward one at the front of the hatch.

“Photobucket”

I was ready to go as the sun crept over the horizon.

“Photobucket”


Within half an hour I was in position at the buoy and settled down to fish in around 30ft of water. The current was starting to ease as I dropped anchor and baited up.

“Photobucket”

I got lots of small bites from the start but kept missing them until finally a small whiting took the hook properly and I brought it in – the first fish of the year. This woke the boats up and soon I was being passed by workboats, yachts and charters, one of whom stopped to look at the idiot on the kayak…they asked how I was doing but I couldn’t really excite them…

“Photobucket”

Next up was a thin dab which I x-rayed before putting back to swim around with the whiting.

“Photobucket”

As the tide started to ease and Popeye came out in a proper boat around the same length as my yak I started to get stronger bites and dropped one near the surface as he looked on. It was a dogfish that was holding onto a strip of mackerel. Damn, the first decent pull of the day and it looked a nice size when it broke surface. Shortly after the kayak began to swing, heralding the ending of slack water and as I pulled my baits along the bottom another fish grabbed hold and I was in; a doggie came to the surface.

“Photobucket”

Three fish, three species and a glorious morning on the water left me happy for the rest of the day and I paddled home to eat dogfish with black butter, s erved alongside a skate wing I defrosted as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment