Search This Blog

Saturday 18 April 2009

Yak Boarding...17-18/04/09

Well, sometimes you're just wasting your time and bait trying to fish. This weekend looks like being one of those times locally so I figured it was a great opportunity to put my drysuit through the spin cycle to get some of the cod slime out! Seeing as the forecast was for decent sized waves, quite nicely spaced and surfable I couldn't help but rinse off the Yak Boards too, dragging my mate Liam out again for a session as we usually hit the surf together (he doesn't fish but has always liked kayaking).

I picked him up around 7:30 last night and we arrived on the sand maybe 15 minutes later, kitted up and with Yak Boards over our shoulders. The sea looked great! Without further ado I launched and took some video of the conditions, at which point Liam asked if I wanted a photograph of myself - of course I did! He took a bit long to compose it though and a wave picked me up...could have done some damage there!

“photobucket”

That done I headed out in the lee of the groyne and grabbed hold of the first decent wave that came along - as most of them were. It was maybe 4ft or so and I flew! Down at a decent angle, allowing me to stay aboard, and then along the face a bit and into the beach...pure joy :D It made up for the battering on the way out with cold waves breaking in my face regularly. Half of these I would not have stayed on for if I hadn't got thigh straps fitted and on occasion they were the only thig keeping me on as I flew in towards the beach!

I passed Liam at a great rate of knots at one point while he was in the water, by maybe 6 feet or so.I meant to say 'Watch Out!' but it came out more like 'Weeeeeee!'. He did a similar one to me as well after a wipeout - purely my own fault, I was trying to film with one hand and move myself with the other ;) It's a great clip.

An hour of fun followed before deciding on the first of our last waves...the fact is the sea was the best we've had it so far for this so we didn't want to go in, even though we were both fairly knackered by now. We finally gave up when we couldn't see anymore :'( My comment of 'Sh!t or Bust!' being precisely that as I wiped out again and wasted my run in.)

Driving back we did a quick circuit of the promenade - there were 'ladies' present in miniskirts etc...jokingly Liam mentioned another circuit and the joke continued to cruising with the stereo cranked up etc...and so, a blue Astra Estate with two Yak Boards strapped to the roof driven by a Typhoon-underfleeced beardy-baldy with a passenger in neoprene 'burned up the strip' with the CD that I knew to be loaded in, much to Liam's embarresment as he recognised the quaint melody, moments before the multi-decible voice proclaimed: "The Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaeffer' ;D ;D ;D

I got home, fiddled around and fitted my camera to my helmet with gaffer tape. I've not used the hemet before so i had to adjust it to my head too...I was getting uyp again at 5:30 to hit the surf for 6...

Back out, Liam was unable to join me and so I launched into a slightly lesser sea than the nght before - but still good. I was as much intent on getting video as I was in riding the waves and managed a bit of both. Some surfers turned up after a while and I managed to consistently miss them as I came zooming in past them; I didn't see either catch a wave come to think of it...perhaps they should have come out further ;) I had a whale of a time and although i missed plenty of waves, which weren't forming up as far out as the previous night, I still had an hour and a half of fun with plenty of rides. Since I bought my Yak Board bad forecasts have not been anything to be upset about.

No comments:

Post a Comment