Search This Blog

Saturday 21 March 2009

Classic Piker’s Dawn…Codding off Hopton...21/03/09

Five hours after I got to bed after the previous evenings escapades on the sea my alarm went off. I got straight out of bed and wondered why. Then I wandered upstairs to find my socks, downstairs to look for them, back into the bedroom to see if I’d left them there, into another room and then gave up and went and found another pair in the laundry room. I then carried on wandering from room to room trying to get my head around the day before downing a coffee, loading the last bits into the car and heading off to Hopton. It was minus two.

“photobucket”

The frost covered fields and the morning sun were spectacular and the sea, on arrival, looked lovely to relax on.

“photobucket”

Hungryfisherman had slept in his car and I was the fourth to arrive, Steve111 arriving ten minutes after me (he lives in Hopton you see and has to commute to the beach). The others were Onmas and, a new recruit on his first trip out in my Trident 15, Norfolk Boy (saying hello to a passing sailor!):

“photobucket”

We got ourselves unloaded, kitted out and headed down to the beach. It looked a beautiful morning. The five yaks on the sand looked an impressive site – considering Pinkfoot and I first started going out together a mere six months or so ago it’s an impressive line-up as the Anglian contingent has effectively tripled over the winter. And we’ve even adopted a city-slicker as out mascot too ;D

“photobucket”

“photobucket”

New folk bring new ideas too. This new design of kayak-wear, designed by ‘Normal-For-Norfolk Limited’ was sported for the first time on OUR BEACH!!! Consisting of wellies and gaffer tape they’re guaranteed to feel no different to being in a tractor having waded through pig slurry. Makes you proud to be from Norfolk, doesn’t it?

“photobucket”

Necessity is, of course, the mother of all invention. Of course, around here it’s often the sister of it as well.

Well, off we went! I nipped out ahead to get Norfolk Boy’s first launch on camera and was in position for Onmas too:

“photobucket”

Norfolk Boy following close behind:

“photobucket”

We paddled out a bit further than usual into 32ft and once Norfolk Boy had his anchor down and holding I dropped mine, Onmas doing the same. It was slack water and we ended up later on being a lot closer than is usual to fish but it was nice to be able to natter as well. And keep cursing the bugger for not only bringing a banana but eating the d**ned thing when told it was bad luck to take one on a fishing boat. The bloody greengrocer wafted his yellow fumes over to me as well and while all around us were catching we sat there missing bite after bite after bite. It took me an hour and a half and probably a dozen lug before I had anything up:

“photobucket”

That’s a personal best Whelk, mind. Must be down to the very good worms from Pownalls in Great Yarmouth – started using them recently and I’ve not had bad worms yet. We also had some of this:

“photobucket”

Then, to cap it all off, after we’d both missed tons of bites, bloody Bananaman strikes again!

“photobucket”

Now I’m a placid guy really, but I was all set to swim over and scuttle him for that! Still, I decided to drop down to a single worm on a wishbone rig with 1/0’s and eventually managed to drag in my first fish of the day.

“photobucket”

It actually came home with me for a sushi experiment. I read that Whiting makes quite good sushi. Trust me, the internet is full of many excellent bits of information but this wasn’t one of them. It makes crap sushi, and so does Pouting (but both tasted good filleted and pan fried in seasoned flour, the Pouting being the tastier).

“photobucket”

That was one of the biggest I’ve had up here and came just after the plantain-muncher had treated me to this fine displaying of nose-rubbing-in-it:



So there are a few Codling around…it swam off, being a bit small for a Codling

“photobucket”

Come 10am it was time for me to head off. Up-anchored, I intended to go and help Norfolk Boy but he was ahead of the game and had done it himself – I’d say he is the most ‘comfortable’ first-timer I’ve had the pleasure to launch with, welcome aboard! So instead I paddled off to see Steve…he’d had 6 Codling and 10 Whiting by now, not all keepers, and was having a good time of it.

“photobucket”

We paddled straight I and I hopped out on beaching and recorded Norfolk Boy returning from his first trip, a happy paddler:



Another good day on the water, albeit frustrating for me, and what a beautiful start to the day. Roll on next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment