Search This Blog

Saturday 14 March 2009

A Bit of Ruffe...14/03/09

I decided on a break from the sea after many sessions off Hopton, the last resulting in two starfish and nothing else, inspired for a large part by Saturday being the last day of the coarse fishing season. This time last year I’d spent many hours fishing the Waveney at Beccles for various silver fish and pike and so decided that I was about due for another session. I’d only been on fresh water twice so far since the start of the year, piking once on Oulton Broad and silver fishing the other time at Beccles. Neither had produced much sport with a solitary Pike at the former and with heavy rainfall for a few days prior I was lucky to catch a Roach and a Gudgeon in the fast-flowing and muddy conditions of the latter. Hopefully this would be a better session and I was hopeful of Ruffe and Bream, two species I’d be less likely to cross off in the summer. And with luck I could beat last year.

I was on the water with my Prowler 15 at 06:30 after another early start. Initially I decided I’d troll a mile downriver to the bridge and back then grab my match rods, head downriver again and get the swimfeeders out. I was trying some new purchases again, this time Rapala Magnum CD18’s brought back from South Africa in Blue Mackerel and a very shiny silver/red/black one. Big lures, at 18cm, I was hopeful that they might tempt one of the big girls due to spawn as they’re more likely to move for something worth eating. A 45lb’er came out of Norfolk last week and although I wasn’t heading for the circus bound to be up that way there was still the possibility of a good fish. Like all anglers I retain the ludicrous optimism that one day it could be me.

I set out, keeping my lines reasonably close in so as to not snag the bottom and started to wake up. The water looked okay, not too murky and not too fast so I was hopeful that I might get a run. Down to the quay and I’d had nothing so turned and headed back. Back past the bridge I changed over to a pair of Super Shad Raps in Redhead and Nordic Perch patterns…fingers crossed.

Still crossed, I got back to my launch point, grabbed the match rods, bait and tackle out of the car and set off back to the boatyards to start fishing. Three red maggots on a size 16 hook and a feeder full of crumb and maggots on each rod and I cast in.

“photobucket”

A few small taps saw me reeling in nothing so I took one maggot off and tried again.

BANG! An almighty take, the rod tip arched over and I struck into a Dace that tore off with the speed of a thousand gazelles! I was ready for it though and after battling tuna and sharks abroad I was more than prepared – so fishing-fit now that I didn’t even need a gaff to drag it aboard!

“photobucket”

On the livebait rod it went and I cast out to the side while continuing after my silvers. Again the rod plunged downwards and I fought a Ruffe to a standstill, releasing it for another day. One of my targets down.

“photobucket”

It was the third capture, however, that got me all nostalgic. It reminded me of a conversation I’d had on my mobile in the same spot exactly a year ago…a conversation which I’d hung up on when a Gudgeon had taken my bait…when I came off the water that afternoon the subsequent call-back had resulted in my driving to Great Yarmouth where I found that my concerns were over and I’d got the hoped-for job as teaboy for Andrew ;D I considered calling him to hang up on a Gudgeon for old times’ sake but thought better of it.

“photobucket”

Still nothing doing on the livebait I had a visitor come around the side of the boat I was tucked in next to and observe me from a metre away for a minute or so, completely unflustered.

“photobucket”

The bites slackening off I went for a paddle to try my luck for Chub in a favoured spot. Things slow down here but the bites and fish are usually better. I had a couple of dropped ones then cast into a tree and lost a complete set-up. Worse things happen at sea but at least casting into trees isn’t one of them ;D I waited a while longer and then got a thumping bite, struck into it, felt the fish on then swore as It dragged the gear straight into a snag. There was no getting it out and I snapped the line trying. I decided to try with my livebait and a flat set up at the mouth of the dyke (!) in the yacht basin. A good spot for pike it was already taken and although I found somewhere that might have produced I got no bites on the float rod so set it up for feeder again and headed back to my original place. Another biteless hour passed and so I decided to head back, trolling fruitlessly all the way. Two Dace, three Gudgeon and four Ruffe was my total, no Pike runs and no Bream and two lost rigs. Nothing spectacular but a nice, relaxing session on a surprisingly mild morning - and next time I fish there it’ll be the time of year when the Pike will be queuing up to take a lure!

Oh, and a Stickleback came next to the yak on the surface at one point. Laughing at me he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment