Search This Blog

Saturday 24 January 2009

Winter Tournament...24/01/09

Got up at 04:45 this morning and headed for Hopton. For various reasons I couldn't commit much time to this tournament and as I had to be home by 09:15 at the latest things weren't too promising.

Down at the beach I met up with two chaps I'd been chatting to from the WSF forum who are looking at getting into kayak fishing. I left my Trident with them and got on the water for 06:00, paddling out a few hundred metres as the time available and the predicted wind was going to make things difficult otherwise.

A two boom flapper on one rod and a wishbone on the other, with a couple of small lugworm on and some bits of glugged squid and I cast in.

I rebaited every now and again but with nothing happening. After an hour I saw Pinkfoot on the beach getting ready to launch in his new X13. It's got that much extra buoyancy in I reckon it should be christened Zeppelin! Shortly before he launched I got my first knock...knock...knock...

“photobucket”

Codling. It was around a pound so I didn't mind returning it. Bloody catch and release comp.

I rebaited and cast out. Pinkfoot turned up for a chat in his new ride - and it looks the business:

“photobucket”

“photobucket”

then I had another small bite...

...and after a few yards of reeling in it dropped off. A pity, as I suspect strongly it was a Whiting.

Next bite I missed, and then another - both small though...and then, third time lucky!

“photobucket”

Pouting. Nicely hooked so an easy return.

The sun was up by now, at last.

“photobucket”

The next bite was a corker! The rod tip started banging away and I started into a decent fish - a Codling, probably around 4lb by the feel of things. Luck wasn't with me though and it dropped off not far from the boat without me even getting a glimpse of it.

Then it went quiet. Steve paddled out in my Trident now that the sun was up and paddled around and chatted.

“photobucket”

Jason, who had stayed on the beach, had caught a codling so it wasn't a wasted trip for him. It was now 08:15 and I had to pack up. We paddled in. My two hours fishing had resulted in two species for the comp. There is a slim chance that i'll have another short bash tonight but it's doubtful. Hope you lot do better ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment