Search This Blog

Friday 2 January 2009

First one down!...02/01/09

I feel bloated. I feel frustrated. I have the winter blues from hanging around doing bugger all. I got back from France this morning at about 1:30 and was determined to get out on the yak and paddle some of the pounds away…and try to break my duck for 2009 on my first launch with one of my new lures. So after lunch I escaped as fast as I realistically could and wandered off to my mate’s house where my van and yak had stayed while we were away.

Then I turned around, walked back and grabbed my new lures.

Only having a few hours left of daylight I had to stay close and decided to christen 2009 with a bash at Oulton Broad, a mile down the road. I wasn’t really expecting much as there was a strong north easterly (21mph apparently) and it was bloody cold. Added to that I was going to start on two new Rapala Super Shad Raps (Christmas ones) in Nordic Perch and Tiger Peacock patterns - both of which I expect to bring me some good fish this year as perch is a natural food source around here and the pike seem to go for stripy lures and the fluorescent lures seem to be a winner too.

“photobucket”

Now you may think that Father Christmas had been very thoughtful this year but I had in fact bought them myself, from my wife, from one of the dealers I visited to give some training to in December - he’d got these two alluring lures new win and I had to cement our relationship by having them ;D So if they are so lovely why wasn’t I expecting much? Simply because they dive to a depth of 5-9 feet and the broad averages around 6 - and has weed on the bottom. Also, in the margins where I usually get takes it’s about 3 so I’d need to keep them close to the yak.

Five minutes after leaving home I was at the slipway with my trusty Prowler 15 largely de-rigged and read to launch. It had to be trolling today to get my paddle fitness back up after a fortnight off and I planned on doing around five miles.

“photobucket”

I was travelling light - apart from the two Rapalas I had a new Shakespeare Big S in blue mackerel (its first outing after retiring my last, lucky, one) and a Big S / Little S combo that Cambornecaperpilot had given me at the Trout Meet. Those, a knife, some forceps and whatever was in my PFD plus paddle and a pair of rods would be my lot. I had paddle pants in the van so left my drysuit at home but really should have been more sensible and remembered my Chota boots as they were in the conservatory - desert boots soak up the wet and get very cold!

There were a few pikers out on the water and I trolled out from the slip to the mouth of the dyke. I kept hanging up on weed and having to clear the hooks and the wind was blowing me around a lot as soon as I got to the houseboats. It was quite amusing because I also had a small swell kicked up from the wind in this area of around a 9-12 inches and it was a bloody pain because of the direction, slapping against the yak and making a lot of noise. I changed over to the Shakespeares as I could let more line out and they don’t dive so deep.

Nothing. I wandered onto the flats. Still nothing. Down the central gully to the corner and still nothing. Two hotspots from the past failed to pick anything up too and apart from a snag that got my heartbeat up (I was back on the Rapalas again) I was starting to expect a blank. I was heading into the wind all the way down so at least I was burning up some lard at least. I hoped I might pick up something near the jetties from the boatyard or the boats moored at the entrance to the dead end (another producer in the past) but nothing and so I wandered into the dead end for a bit of respite from the wind. The dead end is somewhere that doesn’t produce for me; I’ve seen fish come from there on baits, some good ones too, but I’ve only ever had one on a trolled lure, last winter when Norm came down and we had a paddle when he bought my other Prowler 15 from me. I did a half circuit and stopped paddling ready to bring the lures in for a break.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by a hell of a splashing commotion on the surface - presumably my Blue Mackerel Big S (ooooh I love them!!) had been taken as it started to rise to the surface and this fish had hit it from below. Even some passers by a couple of hundred yards away stopped and started at it! I grabbed the rod, stowed my paddle and started to reel it in. The fish kept coming towards me so I was being slacklined a lot but it stayed on and I got it near the yak, the afternoon sun giving it a lovely warm glow.

“photobucket”

I lifted the rod to bring it closer

“photobucket”

Beautifully hooked across the front of the mouth.

“photobucket”

I was waiting for it to make a dive and run for it but it hardly made any attempt to escape - too much lying on the bottom feeding occasionally (there were a few parasites on its flanks and it had a deep belly). So I reached down and chinned it, taking the hooks out at the side of the yak, the fish nice and calm with a lure across the front of its mouth...

“photobucket”

Unhooked, I lifted it up to take a photograph - I couldn’t fit it all in held up so had to lay it down across my legs. A beautifully marked and coloured fish of around 6-8lb in weight (summer time I’d have said six but it was pretty fat and heavy). It laid there in a docile state. A quick snap and a kiss on the top of the head (first fish of the year) and I slid it into the water whereupon it finally showed some enthusiasm for things, splashed me with its tail and dived down for the bottom immediately. Lovely!

“photobucket”

I trolled back across the broad and then headed up to the mouth of the dyke again. The wind was biting and my boots were soaked - my toes were now really cold and I headed up to the mouth of the dyke and back before calling it a day. I was well chuffed to have started the New Year with my old friend - an Oulton Broad pike.

No comments:

Post a Comment